Monday, November 14, 2011

Peanut Soup? Think Colonial Williamsburg

What a week it has been! I visited Colonial Williamsburg for the first time for my 50th (no comments please) birthday and it was one of those magical moments in time that I will remember forever. It was truly a time travel experience to journey back to our American beginnings in eighteenth century style.















We had so much fun staying in one of the colonial houses. Yes, I pretended it was ours, however, the kitchen was missing or I would have moved in permanently – really - ADORABLE.





We did the checklist for first-time guests and I still could do it again as there is so much to see and take in. We did the ghost walk on the misty night of the 10th and see for yourself…we were not alone – hehe!!!





So we ate some really wonderful food, but the one thing I was so curious about was the peanut soup. They serve it in the taverns in the Historic Area of Williamsburg and yet I knew it had been made with milk and butter, so I didn’t try it…till I came home and made up my version of peanut soup. 





This WILL be our first course in a few weeks for Thanksgiving. It is so yummy and a different thing to serve, unless you are from Virginia and have eaten it all your life. Mine is spiced up a bit, but I think you will enjoy it as much as we did as we re-lived our Williamsburg Trip. The natural peanut butter I used in the recipe came from The Peanut Shop of Williamsburg in Merchants Square. It is so good and contains only peanuts and a little salt, but no sugar. I know you probably won’t have this particular peanut butter, but just choose a natural peanut butter that doesn’t have any added sugar. You also can go online and order peanuts and peanut butter from The Peanut Shop of Williamsburg – easy and good for your Christmas and Holiday gifts – I get nothing for plugging – just a great product and I love quality products to cook with and eat!!

Here’s my peanut soup:
3 T. of Earth Balance (vegan buttery spread)
1 small onion
2 small carrots
1 rib celery
2 small cloves of garlic
Sweat these in large saucepan or Dutch oven on medium high heat until vegetables are soft and just starting to caramelize a bit.
Add:
32 oz. of vegetable stock (no salt added if possible – I like to control that myself…ok so maybe I do like to control some things in my life now that I am 50!!)
Let the vegetables simmer in the stock for 25 to 30 minutes




Strain out the veggies and you can use these for another recipe…ummm like veggie patties or another soup. You could leave them in, but I wanted that smooth, velvety bisque like texture so I strained them out. I did use the back of my spoonula to smash them through the strainer a bit to get some of the color and goodness into the stock.



I added 1 cup of creamy all natural peanut butter to the pot. The peanut butter will need to be stirred a bit as it separates and you want the solid goodness going into the soup and not just the oil - :) After stirring measure and then whisk into the hot stock and don’t worry if it looks like it is breaking a bit, as it warms everything gets smooth and delicious.




Now add the seasoning:
¼ tsp. garlic powder – what can I say I like garlic
¼ tsp. cayenne – a little zip to the taste buds
¼ tsp. of onion salt – remember no other salt
1 T. of jalapeno vinegar juice (I always have sliced jarred jalapenos in my refrigerator and this is a nice acid to use because it has added flavor – feel free to use another acid like pickle juice or white vinegar would even work fine. It is just a good way to use that jarred juice and it is a very colonial idea to waste not.) Whisk in all of these seasonings well.



Bring the soup to a simmer and then whisk in 1 cup of soy creamer – this adds a rich smooth creaminess instead of whipping cream or half-n-half

Let soup get good and hot and then ladle into mugs or bowls. I garnished with some chopped peanuts and fresh parsley. I served a fresh herb and mixed greens salad topped with grapes, apples, chopped dates, and walnuts with a red wine vinegar/walnut oil vinaigrette. Add some whole grain bread and you have a filling meal or serve the soup alone as a first course on Thanksgiving like we will;-)



  
Thanks Williamsburg for the inspiration. I will be back!!!




Thoughtful living moment today: Looking back at our history as a Nation and as a People, gives us the gift of inspiration and gratitude. Be inspired! Be grateful!






No comments: